What can I do if my workers’ compensation company will not pre-authorize treatment?

You have two options:

  1. Choose another doctor who will treat you without requiring pre-authorization from the insurance company, OR 
  2. File a prospective Petition for Utilization Review Determination, which could take a few months to process. The Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Bureau selects a physician to review the proposed treatment after contacting the treating physician and discussing the proposed treatment with him/her. Your treating physician may have copies of these forms and may help you fill them out, or you can get them at your county’s Workers Compensation Judge’s offices. An attorney can also file this form for you.