What should I do if I am injured on the job?

Tell your employer you have been injured and if necessary, get medical care right away.

After injury or illness occurs, it is the employees responsibility to complete a claim form and to submit it to either the employer or the state workers' compensation agency/board. Normally, an employer will have the claim forms available. The employer will submit the claim to the insurance company. The employer is given an opportunity to respond to the claim. If he does not contest the claim, the insurance company will make payment of medical bills and wages. A hearing can be scheduled if the employer contests the claim to determine whether, or how much, compensation is owed to the employee.



(Reviewed 9-08)