What should I do if I suspect age discrimination at my place of work?

If you believe that you have been illegally discriminated against based on your age, file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC, for short) within a certain time frame. You can mail the complaint, call the EEOC toll free at 1-800-669-EEOC or 800-669-6820 or drop in at the EEOC local offices in person. More information on filing a complaint can be located on-line at the EEOC’s Internet address at: Job Description for more details.)

Also, file a copy of the complaint with your local state office of civil rights. Be prepared to document your allegation.

The EEOC will investigate and attempt to resolve the problem informally. The EEOC will file suit against the employer, but, due to budgetary constraints, lawsuits are filed in only a very small number of cases. Individuals, however, can sue independently if the EEOC has not filed its own lawsuit.